For the first six weeks after surgery, your activity will be limited. This means no heavy lifting (no more than 10 pounds) or strenuous exercise. Six weeks after surgery, you may resume all of your usual activities, including exercise. Vaginal intercourse may begin eight weeks after surgery.
- Soak the dilator in a betadine solution for no more than 10-15 minutes prior to use
- Wash the dilator with an antibacterial hand soap after each use
Post-operative Douching Instructions (typically performed in the shower):
- Place a few drops of an antibacterial liquid soap in the douche bag and fill with warm water.
- Insert the tip of the douche a few inches into the vagina and gently squeeze the bag.
- Repeat this process with clear water to remove the soap residue.
- This should be performed daily for two weeks after discharge from the hospital. After this time, douching should be performed two to three times each week.
A yellowish-brown discharge may be noted for the first few weeks after surgery. In addition, you may notice sutures and debris in the discharge.
Vaginal intercourse may begin eight weeks after surgery.
Follow-up Care (prostate exam):
An annual speculum and prostate exam should be performed.